Comments for Rubber shed roof and installing a wood burner

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 15, 2010
Have 999 on speed dial...
by: GreenBoy


The 4" steel tube you are going to use as a flue - is it actually flue pipe (with a welded seam, or is it some old steel pipe from a factory etc which is considerably thicker walled and extruded?

My concern is the heat - the rubber ring you see round flues is a rain cap designed to stop water running down the flue into the roof and causing rot - they do not protect the heat from the heat.

Generaly you should use a section of twin wall flue pipe where it passes through the roof as this stops the hot pipe touching the roof, and causing fire.

please look at for more information

Apr 16, 2010
Hmmm... back to the drawing board
by: Kelly

Thanks for the advice, I weasn't sure at all on the use of the rubber to be protective enough even though a friend said it would be. Think I may leave the wood burner for a while until I can afford the proper flue kit, although with the height of the shed being over 8.5ft its gonna cost a small fortune on the flue... more thought needed.


Oct 04, 2010
by: TK

doesn't galvanised steel give off poisonous fumes when heated?

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Rubber shed roof and installing a wood burner.

Return to Shed Roof Questions.

Custom Search

Keep in touch with our monthly newsletter

Shed Building Monthly




Don't worry -- your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Shed Building Monthly.