Jo's Lean-to door shed

by Jo
(Mid-Wales, UK)

Nicely organised internal storage

Nicely organised internal storage

Hi John, I recently finished a long, narrow shed made out of recycled materials, from pallet wood to wood left over, or reclaimed, from other projects.

I used one and a half boxwood doors for the roof. These were being given away on, and initially I painted these with a waterproof type paint, but it began to peel off. So I 'discovered' a fibreglass paint and thought I'd give that a whirl instead. As you know, boxwood doors for a shed roof is not a good idea at all simply because they are made from something we call 'hardboard' in the UK! These would have quickly turned to mush, considering the amount of rain we've had too. So, I used 'Cromarol' fibreglass paint. I have to say I am extremely impressed with it. I put just one coat on to see how it would bear up under our fine British weather. As I live in the Mid Wales/England borderlands, we get lots of rain. The doors have stood up to the weather.

The shed is nice and dry inside, although I do have to seal between the boards as a bit of damp is seeping through. But the roof? It's grand!

The length of the shed is approximately 2.6 metres, and the width? 86 cms (that's the roof from front to back) and the inside measurement is approx 66 cms!

I attach a pic or two of the shed - including the one showing the door handle still on the door. I like the quirkiness of that.

I am also a 70 years old Grandma!


Comments for Jo's Lean-to door shed

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Update on the Lean-to-door shed
by: Jo

John - As promised, more pics attached.
The uprights were given to me and were rejected wood from a building site. They varied from slightly out of kilter, to very much out of kilter. I used the straightest ones but bought straight ones for the door frame. I still need to put a second coat of the acrylic fibre coating on the roof, but there have been no leaks even with all the rain. And there are, as mentioned before, a few finishing jobs as well as tidying the side access. I have sent you a pic of the side access where the shed is to portray just how narrow the space is!

I built the shed base first. Then I did the end bit where the chimney juts out as it was going to be against the side chimney wall. Then I built the frame for the back of the shed by laying it out on the patio. When it was done, I could just about drag it to the side access and perched it towards the front of the base. I then pushed it over so that it was leaning on the hedge! That was the only way I could nail the ply onto it and once the back was completely finished I somehow managed to get it upright and push it about 4cms away from the wall! It was really a bit on the heavy side. I secured the back and side ends together. The rest was comparatively easy after that! The end facing into the garden was originally a tongue and groove door I rescued from my daughter's place. They were going to burn it! But I took it apart, turned the wood around and made the end facing into the garden. All the rest of the wood along the front was mostly from 3 pallets I dismantled. One door was made from ends of fencing planks left over from a fence my son-in-law had erected, and the other door was made from a dismantled wooden planter. The floor of the shed again was made from ends of planks, but I also bought some ply from a bargain bin and put that on top, and then painted it black with waterproof type of paint as it's easier to sweep out. As I have previously mentioned, the roof is made from boxwood painted over with acrylic fibre paint, and is at a slight slope to allow water to run off. I haven't put any guttering on as there is nowhere to channel the water to, but that's ok.

I didn't keep a proper tally of how much I spent, but it was around £100. As I hadn't spent that much in the overall scheme of things, I splashed out and bought metal garden rails with movable struts/rods. I put shelving at each end of the shed with enough of a gap under the bottom shelves so that I could fit in my chipper and spare plant pots. All the shelving was also made from salvaged wood. The hangers on the left-hand door were made from wooden IKEA dish drainers. All of the bolts are new, but that's included in the £100.

I took the pics of the front of the shed cupboard roof from my neighbour's property.

Well, there you have it, and I hope a sufficient selection of photos to choose from!

Kind regards


lean to shed

lean to shed

lean to shed

lean to shed

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Building a shed case studies.

Custom Search

Keep in touch with our monthly newsletter

Shed Building Monthly




Don't worry -- your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Shed Building Monthly.